Welcome to the Fantheon Community

Pantheon Hype Video

News Ticker
  • News ticker sample
  • News ticker sample
Eldert

Paladins Two Races

Paladins can only be played by humans and dwarves.  I know some over in the dev forums don't like Paladins only being able to be two races. I think it's cool.  Having classes that have more restrictions makes the game feel more real to me.  I also like playing the classes that aren't played as much.  Since warrior can be played by almost every class but gnome there will be plenty of tanks.  Just not lots of paladin tanks.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I'm perfectly fine with there being racial limitations for each class.  Humans will probably be the most common race since they have all classes available to them.  On the other side of the equation you have Ogres who will probably be the rarest race since they are limited to only 4 classes.  It might be a little rough for Ogres early on since they don't have a single DPS class represented but I'm not too worried about it.  Once we start adventuring and meeting up with other races none of that will matter.  There is also a chance that Progeny will open up new class/race combinations.  I think that would be a really awesome way to allow characters to differentiate themselves ... maybe an Elven Paladin or Ogre Bard will eventually be possible after all, right?

Along similar lines there are less seats per raid for tanks in my general experience. Same applies to healers in a lesser degree. So if limitations increase flavor and help make the playerbase match the requirements of the game, I am all for it.

/dark myr cleric 

Since most MMOs do this in some shape or form, I don't think it will be a huge deal at launch. For an MMO that supposed to be story-driven, I feel it's a good decision to create limitations like this. It's not likely, within the lore, to see a Race with low Intelligence have a bunch of Wizards running around. Alternatively, like in the example, I wouldn't expect a Race that worships a Dark deity to be able to harness the power of a Paladin. Shadow Kight-type (Dire Lord in this case) yes, but not a Paladin.

I do second 1AD7's idea on this though, as well. Just because there aren't a lot, doesn't mean there can't be some. To have the ability to unlock a Race/Class combo outside of the societal norms would be a fantastic way to build player engagement. Especially if doing so required extensive questing and working through the Progeny system. Plus, being that first, and maybe only, Ogre Bard on your server would be a feat in itself. 

• Like 1