Welcome to the Fantheon Community

Pantheon Hype Video

News Ticker
  • News ticker sample
  • News ticker sample
Sign in to follow this  
Philo

What would you like progeny rewards to be?

187's post on the main forum got me wondering about what some possible progeny rewards could be? 

Here are some ideas of what we might see:

1)+ to a stat.  Based on class/race..so a Dwarf War might have a +10 str option while a Dwarf enchanter would not. 

2)+mana/hitpoints.  Caster classes have +mana option, melee focus have +hitpoints.

3)+tradeskill- + a small amount to a skill that you have mastered

4)+ resistance.  There are going to be a lot of the various resistances instated.  These options would likely be race based.

5)Retain a lvl 1 skill/spell from a limited list-  this is an interesting option.  Probably not super useful over the long run...but a low mana cost buff or something could end up being helpful on occasion.  Something to put on the front of our buff list so that it gets dispelled first maybe? ...lets not get stupid and think we are going to have the option to take FD on our cleric or some such thing...

There could end up being hundreds of possible options in the above list.  I tried to not get to crazy and keep the list plausible.  I think the above list, with small bonuses, are the types of benefits we should expect to see.  Do you agree?

What other small bonuses might we gain from participating in the progeny system?

Edited by Philo

Faction  --  Maybe there is an advanced faction tier that is only possible to attain by becoming exalted (or max) on a character and then transferring that to your progeny.  This could open up new quests or rewards.

Extra ability for our hotbars  --  Love the sound of it but realize it would be considered game-breaking and thus feel "forced" or "required."

I like the faction idea.  It makes sense in a society and it would be able to provide extra benefits that would otherwise be unobtainable without using the progeny system.

I would think the only non-gamebreaking thing would be something to do with Factions and quest lines. Maybe you would be able to keep a certain level of access with a faction you once held while choosing a different one to align with regardless of whether they were warring or not. It could open up espionage missions for cosmetic rewards so they don't affect the actual gameplay in any way.

Alternatively, each class could have a set of progeny quest lines that have you tackle something that their ancestor once handled. Sort of like the evil has returned theme. Could award some sweet cosmetic items, titles, or give you the ability to change spell visuals as long as it has very little to do with actual stats and power level.  At that point...you sort of feel like you HAVE to roll with the progeny system if min/max is your bag.

It would be cool if, when you rerolled, you got to chose a set of spells from the ancestor to keep and then roll a new class. It would provide a sort of job/subjob system, but if you rolled a 2nd time. You would only be able to choose from a set list of the class you rolled from and lose access to the previous spell list. It would make some classes combinations OP, but there will always be a flavor of the month. This restriction would allow that to a point without leading to ability bloating.

Edited by Caduto

I don't think progeny rewards will be purely cosmetic.  They have to provide incentive to restart your character or no one will do it.  The rewards have always been talked about as a small benefit...nothing super overpowering.  Cosmetic rewards have never been discussed in relation to progeny that I remember.  That wouldn't really work with what we know about the system.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I think the exact phrase that has been used is that our characters will be "slightly yet noticeably stronger, but not to the point where they become OP."  I am pretty sure there will also be a cap on how many times we can utilize the Progeny feature which basically implies that there will be some form of power progression associated with the mechanic.  I think your original post, Philo, is pretty on point in regards to what we might be able to expect.

Yep, at some point brad made a statement about how there will be a limit to the number of times you can gain  benefits from the progeny system.

I actually hope that the limited amount of times a player can gain benefits from progeny is small...maybe 3-5 play throughs or some such thing (at first at least).  So that the player who plans out his race/class path and the corresponding benefits is rewarded more than the player who finds the best exp spot and powerlevels the fastest.

Theoretically AAs in EQ were limited too....but there were a ton of them and it took a long time to max them...

Something that wasn't mentioned was the possibility of unlocking new race/class combos. 

Maybe your first play through you were a human monk.  Your second play through you were a dwarven cleric.  Your third play through you have the option to select dwarven monk.

How would people feel about that type of bonus?

Ogre wizard?

Edited by Philo

Yeah it's my understanding that unique class/race combinations could possibly be unlocked through Progeny.  Haven't heard anything "official" about it yet but I'm pretty sure it's at least on the table.  If you look up remort from MUD's it would seem that all of this stuff we have talked about (and then some) could be possible.

Maybe bonus to crafting, kinda like if you taught your progeny so they have higher gathering rate or an easier time to level it up

I am finding out new info.  Apparently your progeny character will be required to be the same race as your max level character.

The link below doesn't work for me so I don't really know what it says...but...apparently that is what is talked about there...if anyone can get that link to work and wanted to share the info that would be nice...

Kilsin said "the basic Progeny principle is to just create a child/level 1 character of your max levelled character's race" (Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2870/progeny-system/view/page/2 )

If that ^ says what I think it does, unique class race combos are not possible.

Edit:  Baz copy/pasted the quote and it was in response to you 187...you should really share this info with us :P

Edited by Philo

Kilsin

42c7_17da.png?c=1d7c
  • 7165 posts
July 13, 2017 1:55 AM EDT

oneADseven said:

I have seen a lot of people that are under the impression that we might see new class/race combinations unlocked through progeny.  Do we know if that's actually on the table?

"There hasn't been anything said in this regard, the basic Progeny principle is to just create a child/level 1 character of your max levelled character's race that you are about to retire permanently. I have heard a few community members show interest in mixing races and that is something we can discuss later when Progeny is ready to tested but for now, it is just a copy of your character's race."

It is true that cross races have not been confirmed, but they are at the very least something that would be "discussed" at some point down the line.  They didn't shoot the idea down but I think they just want to get their vision/plan for the feature worked out and then consider more details down the line.  I think there is a decent chance we'll see something like that ... and more.  Feedback will be important.