Welcome to the Fantheon Community

Pantheon Hype Video

News Ticker
  • News ticker sample
  • News ticker sample
Sign in to follow this  
1AD7

Symbiote

My idea for a Symbiote is that they would basically be a 100% support/enhancement type class.  The Symbiote itself is extremely weak, but their true power lies in being able to cast Symbiote on another player's character and provide special augmentations to them.  This could be in the form of wards or small HoT's, temporary stat/resist boosts, aggro/deaggro abilities, elemental armor enhancements (character gains Burning/Icy armor for limited duration that does small-medium fire/ice AoE damage around the wearer), attack speed/DPS modifiers, etc.

The idea behind the class is to allow them to noticeably enhance the power of another character, and the Symbiote would have an ability that allows them to switch to different characters mid-combat.  The cooldown for this ability would be tweaked as necessary.  There may be a certain fight where the Symbiote remains attached to the tank for the entire fight, augmenting him with shields/heals/aggro enhancements, etc.  On another fight, the Symbiote may want to attach to a healer and channel mana to them or cast a well timed deaggro ability and prevent their demise.  On another fight, the Symbiote can attach to a DPS class and help burn down a particularly troublesome add.On another fight, a skilled Symbiote will utilize the ability that allows him to switch character attachment mid-combat and perform several of these roles in a single fight, depending on what's needed most at any given moment.  Utilizing the cooldown of this ability would be very strategic because if timed incorrectly, there could be serious consequences.  Perhaps they try to switch to a healer to save them with a deaggro ability, but just as they switch, the healer dies.  They're now attached to that dead healer and due to the cooldown on being able to switch to another character, they'll be rendered useless for a period of time.  Maybe late-game the Symbiote has the ability to rez a character that they are attached to.

Seeing as playing through other characters would be the main purpose of the Symbiote, they'd be really weak by themselves and hard pressed to solo almost anything.  If necessary, they can be allowed 2 forms, whereas the second form allows them to use some of these abilities on them self but with a severely reduced effectiveness.  The class would not be designed to solo at all, but if it's absolutely necessary that they can, there are ways to accommodate this.  In general though, the only truly viable way for them to XP would be through group endeavors.  To add more flavor to the class, perhaps consider how they could carve out a role in the "Control" section of the Quaternity.  Allow them to disrupt/control the battlefield from a long distance (they can't get up close and personal because of how weak they are) with various forms of CC, such as placing traps on the terrain that can root/fear/mezz, etc mobs when they are walked on.  Perhaps they can create decoys, barricades, or other distractions.

Anyway, I'd love to get some feedback on this idea and hear from other players on whether or not they would be interested in playing a class like this.  It's completely dependent on other players, but it would have various ways of meaningfully contributing to a group.  To my knowledge, a class like this has ever appeared in an MMO and that was my goal ... bring something new to the table that has never been done before.  With the understanding that this game is going to be extremely social and group-centric, I think a class like this might just be feasible.

• Like 1

Could you attach onto enemies to weaken/damage them? Maybe infect them with a piece of yourself as a host their body and give them negative buffs.

Edited by Moikuato
  • Like 1

That's definitely another viable option for the class.  If each class gets two specializations, that could actually become one of them.  Maybe both versions have the ability to attach to allies/foes, but with specialization, you can become more focused towards one or the other.  The debuff version would essentially act like a parasite.  I'm going to try and flesh this idea out some more pretty soon.

I'd like to see a support class maybe that give a sort of manashield ( or ressource shield) that helps soak up damage at the cost of burning your mana etc, kind of a risk/reward, depending on the situation or if someone get stuck in bad :D, and obviously with some sort of buff/debuff if it's more of a support class =)

• Like 1