Welcome to the Fantheon Community

Pantheon Hype Video

News Ticker
  • News ticker sample
  • News ticker sample
Sign in to follow this  
Kittik

Housing Instanced and built.

Ok, so I know it's been said, by Brad, that there won't be housing on release.  Honestly, I feel we should push this issue, but thats just me.  I loved housing in EQ2 and all you could do with it.  It was basically a game within a game.  But I digress...

I see no issues with instanced housing.  Look at IRL apartments, its' the same thing.  We all go in one door, do our lives, and all come out the same door the next day. To the outside eye, it's instanced housing.

A couple of tricks would be, take Thornefast for exampl, Thornefast will have an Inn with 20, (who knows) doors to rooms.  The brothel (5 rooms), the Guard House (4 rooms), the Warriors Hall (10 rooms) 5 random large houses, 6 random small houses.   So if you take (using my numbers above) 50 door, err sorry, rooms x10 you have the potential to house 500 avilable rentable houses/rooms for characters in Thornefast.  (These numbers could be adjusted btw).  Limiting the number of "instanced" rooms each door has could also play into a real estate market (which could be the ever important money sink game developers need).  Charging 100 Plat as downpayment and 10 plat a month for a Large house and 1 Plat down payment and 1 Gold a month for a small Inn room is another money sink.  But it gives players a home.  I cannot overstate how important a home is in an MMO to give players a sense of belonging.

This can be done in villages, other towns large and small.  If you have places that are logically available to have a room for rent, add instanced housing.  Importatntly enough though IS limiting it.  Giving or even having it available to everyone defeats the purpose and feeling of accomplishing something.

Secondly,  (I know this post is getting long)

World, (or server) events to build buildings outside of town.  If a town is over crowded and more rooms are needed, a world event can be started where players of that server, and whatever region it is on that server would undertake a quest by someone in that town to build a house or two just outside the walls, or in the nearby village.  Collecting wood, ore, materials and donating it would help to the construction.  Joining a mini game where you help in the construction could also be added.

Once the house is complete, 20 more instanced rooms become available in that house.

Edited by Kittik

I agree that the housing from EQ2 was incredible.  Being able to collect things in the world, and then showcase them in your house, was awesome.  They were also used for brokerage ... if someone saw your listing on the AH, they could visit your house directly and bypass the broker fee.  Really looking forward to learning more about the housing system in Pantheon.  The guild halls from Vanguard were pretty epic.

• Like 1

LOTRO did a very nice job with what I would describe as semi-instanced housing.  They had a small zone where you would click on a gate and pick the name of the neighbourhood you wanted to visit.  If you wanted to invite friends over, you just told them which city and the neighbourhood name.  Inside each neighbourhood there were a few guild-sized homes and then more home models of different designs for single players.   There were maybe 20 homes per neighbourhood.  The neighbourhood instances were all identical, but when you were in your neighbourhood, you had actual neighbours and vendors.  You saw people around your house and you had random visitors if you allowed them via the permission system.  The elvish neighbourhood for example had beautiful pre-built homes that you essentially rented.  There were streams, waterfalls, waterfront properties by the major nearby river...    It gave you the home without the isolation of feeling like you were in a nameless apartment that nobody else would ever see.   (EQ2:  Do you smell something?   Ya, this gnome died in his apartment 3 weeks ago and nobody noticed.)

I liked Vanguard's housing system too.   I really like the idea of having a house where I get to pick the spot and the style.

SWG though had player housing sprawl.  No game will hopefully ever make that mistake again.

Horizons, had it survived past launch, had an interesting housing system where you had to explore to find the buildable plots.  This was combined with an elaborate layout and building process that let you build truly unique homes.

Edited by Celandor

I wasn't a fan of LotRO housing.  The housing instances were usually a ghost town.  They were nearly identical instances with very similar houses.  They were better when first released but it didn't take long for them to feel empty.  I feel that is the wrong way to implement housing.

Brad has recently talked about housing in a different way.  He mentioned guild outposts that could be moved around.  More like a temporary campsite...or a fort that could be moved to a different location.  It sounds like guilds would establish their "house" in an area that the guild was using heavily.  Once that area is outgrown, the guild HQ could be moved to another area.

This type of system has both positives and negatives.  I like the ability to move the "house" to a better location.  This makes it very convenient to be close by wherever a guild is adventuring.  It is a negative that players won't have their own personal "house".  I guess allowing every player to move around their personal house would clutter the world.