Welcome to the Fantheon Community

Pantheon Hype Video

News Ticker
  • News ticker sample
  • News ticker sample
Sign in to follow this  
Kittik

Whats a Troll

So what are we going to do with our pitchforks and tourches?

How do we know the boundries of what Troll behavior is and what is just someone who is an idiot and oblivious?

What are our (this Forums) rules to ensure we're not starting a witch hunt for someone who just happened to cross our path on a bad day?

• Like 1

This all comes down to the human element, and that's how community policing works.  If someone is making an accusation, they should have proof to substantiate their claim.  There won't be any actual witch-hunts going on ... this is more of a way for people to expose behavior and it's up to the community to make an educated decision on how to respond, if it warrants a response in the first place.  If someone is accused, and the word gets out, maybe they will make a post to defend themselves.  Either way, we aren't going to render any /guilty or /non-guilty verdicts here ... it's just a place for people to share information.  If someone makes a bogus claim or tries to expose another player over something petty then their thread probably isn't going to get much traction.  If anything, folks could chime in and let them know that they might be over-reacting, or provide evidence or input that could invalidate the claim to begin with.  Hopefully, most players will try to resolve issues in-game ... but if someone truly earns a reputation as a troll or griefer, it is what it is.  Reputations are important.

I would love to believe that reputations are important.  I think they are, but I also believe that the Pantheon community and VR  staff are over estimating the significance.

Reputation is only important if it modifies behaviour of people who might otherwise act in ways that are completely anti-social.

If I'm a boxer and I'm running 6 accounts, I may not care if anyone invites me to their groups or posts all the horrible things I've done in a forum.

If I'm in a big guild and we all act like asshats together, we don't really care about public opinion.  We may in fact thrive on being the outlaws of the server.  Regrettably, there are some vary large guilds who mostly consist of people who enjoy griefing and dominating other players through any means possible.

Pantheon is going to need a play nice policy, a reliable method of submitting petitions with evidence, a strong CS team and the willingness to protect the vast majority of players by issuing enforced directives, suspensions and even bans.

I've tried to float the idea that repeat offenders should have their accounts moved PERMANENTLY to a PVP server with an "Escape From New York" prison city mentality.   No guards.  No rules.   You want to play king of the hill, here are some folks who have their own plan.  There may even be guilds who elect to play in that environment voluntarily.   If you repent and learn from the error of your ways, you can start fresh with a new account on your original server.   Get moved a second time and you're flagged as a problem child and your only option at that point is to play on the island of misfit players or quit Pantheon

I don't know if it's been done in other games but I don't have much confidence in this concept of a mostly self-policing community.

Edited by Celandor